Dr. DAC prime
High Quality 192kHz DAC with USB Audio Interface
Dr. DAC prime simply has everything you need in order to listen to digital music with pristine audio quality on the road or at your home.
Dr. DAC prime works with up to 24bit/192kHz and is not only equipped with both an optical (via the included miniplug-toslink adapter) and coaxial S/PDIF input but also with a full USB audio interface (up to 24bit/96kHz) for bit-perfect audio transfer. Optionally the incoming signal can be upsampled to 192kHz, using a TI SRC4382 high end sample rate converter.
The actual analog output signal is generated by a TI PCM1796 DAC with 123dB(a) dynamic range, featuring a full differental output with 3 LME49860NA opamps (8 pin) which are conveniently placed on sockets. The built-in headphone amplifier provides 1/8" and 1/4" connectors. The line output volume can be adjusted or fixed to send out the maximum dynamic range.
But Dr. DAC prime is much more: it provides line inputs (AKM AK5386 ADC with 110dB) as well as optical and coaxial S/PDIF inputs, allowing you to record your own signals with excellent audio quality.
Dr. DAC prime works under Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 as well as Mac OS X even without the installation of any driver software - that's Plug & Play in perfection, it could not be more simple. In addition, we offer an ASIO 2.0 compatible driver as option for Windows XP, Vista, 7 & 8.
- digital to analog converter (and analog to digital converter)
- USB audio interface
- headphone amplifier
Key Specifications and Features
- max. 24bit/192khz S/PDIF input: coaxial & optical combo receiver module
- S/PDIF input => S/PDIF output bypass support
- S/PDIF input => line & headphone output support
- S/PDIF input => computer recording support
- max. 24bit/96khz bit-perfect S/PDIF output: coaxial & optical combo transmitter
- USB input => S/PDIF output support
- AC-3/DTS non-PCM pass thru support (Windows Vista / 7)
- 24bit/192kHz upsampled S/PDIF output (optical & coaxial)
- USB input => 192kHz S/PDIF output
- coaxial input => 192kHz S/PDIF output
- optical input => 192kHz S/PDIF output
- 2 3.5mm mini plug-toslink optical adpters bundled
- TI SRC4382 high-end combo sample rate converter: 32kHz ~ 192kHz input support
- S/PDIF & USB input bypass, 192kHz upsampling support with SRC4382
- +-1ppm 24.576MHz TCXO for S/PDIF input
- Tenor TE7022L USB audio controller
- +-1ppm 12.000MHz TCXO for USB input to S/PDIF / I2S output
- 2 channel line input with RCA connectors
- line input => line output & headphone output support
- AKM AK5386 24bit/192kHz ADC (S/N ratio 110dB)
- 1pc 8pin DIP opamp (S4580P) with socket
- 2 channel line output with RCA connectors
- anti-pop circuit support
- Triple opamp fully differential output: 3pcs 8pin DIP opamp (LME49860NA) with socket
- TI / Burr Brown PCM1796 24bit/192kHz 123dB DAC
- stereo headphone output
- 6.3mm / 1/4" headphone jack
- 3.5mm / 1/8" headphone jack
- volume control gain knob
- fixed line level output - FIX
- variable line level output - VAR
- high-quality analog volume potentiometer
- aluminum cut volume knob
- line output switch for fixed (FIX) or variable (VAR) output volume
- source selection (USB-ANALOG-DIGITAL switch): 3 position toggle switch with LEDs (green)
- line output mute on/off switch (has no effect on headphone output)
- standby/power on switch
- standby (red)
- power on (blue)
- S/PDIF & USB input bypass / 192kHz upsampling: 2 position toggle switch
- multi-colored LED display
- MUTE (red)
- NO SIGNAL (orange)
- NON-PCM (pure green)
- PCM (pure green)
- 192kHz upsampling (pure blue)
- DC 9V~12V wide range power input
- 12V / 1.5A DC adapter included
- dimensions: about 15.0cm x 10.4cm x 3.8cm
- ASIO 2.0 driver support for Windows XP, Vista, 7 & 8
Reviews and Testimonials
Here are selected reviews of Dr. DAC prime:
The ProSound section of famous Russian technology website iXBT contains a detailed positive review of our Dr. DAC prime - you can find the complete review in Russian language here.
HiFi-Forum.de user bearmann created a detailed Review of our Dr. DAC prime - here is a quote: "(...) created with the prime a 1A product, there is no other way to say it." - here you can find the complete review in German.
The website Headfonia is hosting a review of Dr. DAC prime written by user Brian: "... the Dr. DAC Prime is such an impressive complete piece of gear." - check it here.
If you are interested in adding a review to this list, do not hesitate and contact us.